Sunday, November 4, 2007

First Cross Country


This is the first cross country for the M20J. I have flight planned for 5000' and George is now flying so I can get a few photos and check the weather at my destination. The autopilot is doing a great job. It frees up one's mind for other tasks and enjoying the flight. My ground speed is averaging 150kts. I figure a bit over 1.5 hrs to my destination in a river valley just South of the mountains. The air is smooth and about 5C. My calculated airspeed is now 170kts. The Mooney is doing a very fine job.




Prior to departure, the only airport with IFR was near this lake. Visibilities were down to 1/2 mile with low ceilings. I grabbed this shot of the nearby town. This shows an interesting interface on the surface of the lake with fog suddenly building over the lake and spreading across the town. Whisps of fog are seen along the ground, but also only downwind. This is a cool example of advection fog.



This windmill farm showed up a few minutes later. There were a dozen or more but this shot seemed particularly interesting on a low hill.





I have time for a self-portrait while George flies the Mooney. My son, Kyle, says the Mooney needs a new interior. He has good taste. Maybe next year.



ATC has vectored me for the ILS and the autopilot is on the glideslope. I wish I had the opportunity to make a video, maybe next time. I decouple the 55X at about 400' above the ground and take it in. The thing is amazing. On the way back, I hand fly it on the ILS. It requires just a bit more concentration. Either way, the more I use the plane, the more comfortable I become.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that's your sons name?

Anonymous said...

Have I seen you at an opthamology conference or is this a spoof of Phantom of the Opera???

Anonymous said...

Any new updates? Has weather kept you down? When they discoverd the tail was loose, did they offer any reason? DF